You are viewing endymion2021

Tired of ads? Upgrade to paid account and never see ads again!

ICFP 2008 Postmortem

The ICFP Programming Contest is one of my favorite contest. Sadly in the past few years I was not able to compete live. But this year the old team was back ! With Pierre in New York and motivated, we were able to have kick some martians' butts.

ICFP was always for us a reason to learn a new programming language. The first time was OCaml, two weeks before we choose the language and do our homework, but nothing beat getting your hand dirty with a short deadline to learn.

This years we decided to use Haskell (our team was named LazyMonkeys).
I am already pretty decent at it but it was a first for Pierre. Who by the way did a pretty good job. It was funny to see him use OCaml idioms like let in instead of the favored where, but I was never found of where too since it remove the ability to read the code top to bottom.

The contest was very interesting with unusually clear and short instructions, I did not even print them. You can read all about how you had to help a poor rover find his way home on Mars while avoiding the Martians here. It also had a nice range of possible progress from a simple steering solution to a more complex strategy.

At first we kind of doubted of our choice since we had to do real time analysis of a telemetry feed and I seriously consider switching to Erlang. But there is good threading support in Haskell so we stayed with it.

Our solution :

We have a very simple one based on fuzzy steering. With a thread managing the network, one for the motion planning and a last one for visualization.

We lost a lot of time on the network part. The task recommended to disable Nagle’s algorithm which was only possible with the more advanced Network.Socket. The issue that gave me a lot of grief was that on the OS X 10.5 when doing a gethost on localhost the first answer is a IPv6 address. Network.Socket does not seem to be able to manage IPv6 so it was difficult to debug the issue.

We used OpenGL for displaying our robot activities :
ICFP 2008
It was very helpful in detecting logical errors.

Summary, what we did wrong:
  • Did not have a comprehensive test bed to be able to measure our progress. Would have been very useful at the end when we try to tune our parameters.
  • Did not create a trigonometric/geometric module early enough
  • Discover that Aquamacs new version is way cooler that Emacs.app and spending 2 hours updating my .emacs

What we did right:
  • Create a SVN in advance
  • Build the OpenGL display, the one offered by the server was good enough for the first day but when we added more complex comportment we need more visual info.
  • Choose a robust solution
  • Made good use of Haskell laziness

Comments

September 2010

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Links

Powered by LiveJournal.com